QLD Pool Fence permits – when you need them, and how to avoid getting in trouble

One of the normal mistakes that people make on the Gold Coast is generally to not get the appropriate type of building permit or permission before beginning the renovation work or home improvements. If you are considering making changes to your pool, or even add in a pool then with any luck this small overview can help point you in the right direction. If you have any questions, feel free to speak to Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902 and we will more than happy to talk through your fencing questions. Depending where exactly you are with your project, you may have to either build a Pool and a Fence, or just a Pool Fence.

If you need to just build a fence, replace the existing one, or update your fence to be compliant, then you might not need a building permit to begin the job. Any new pool fence or safety barrier will need to comply with regulations around height and non-climb zones– you can find out more about it on the Absolut fencing blog or on the qld government website As a rule of thumb with building permits in the Gold Coast and Queensland, you will most likely not need to seek a building development approval if:

  • You are only building a pool fence that will be at the pool safety standard( ie, you can simply be building the fence – you can not build a large shed and declare it as a part of the fence exemption).
  • The fence will not be greater than 2000mm above the ground level,
  • If built on a retaining wall or other structure – the fence can not be more than 2m above the wall or structure,
  • However, if building above 2000mm, it can not be within 1.5 m of a boundary.

The pool barrier is inspected by a pool safety inspector for compliance with the pool safety standard. If you are establishing a completely new pool or structure in your backyard, then you will certainly have to go through an approval process from the city council.
This will often involve getting:

  • Building approval – this is where a building will prepare plans and specs and after that lodge the intent to build with the local government.
  • Structural soundness assessments this will involve a builder assessing not just the physical structure of the planned pool, but the underlying location that the pool will be installed into. This may include getting an evaluation from an engineer if the terrain is particularly challenging.
  • Sewerage and water supply approval – this is to make sure that you have approval for an adjustment to your water supply connection and any potential disposal factors to consider. For the most part, your builder will figure out all of your permits that you need for constructing a new pool.

If you are ever uncertain if they have sought the correct permits, don’t hesitate to speak with them and ask questions. Any capable builder should be more than happy to speak with you with your needs and guarantee that you are happy with the progression of the construction job.

From this, hopefully you can see how essential permits and permissions are, and you now understand a bit more about the sorts of questions you will have to ask before you start any sort of construction – regardless if through a builder or if it is a DIY project. If you have any concerns about permits, approvals, fencing installations, or DIY Poool Fencing – please don’t hesitate to contact Absolut Custom glass with all your Gold Coast and South East Queensland Pool Fencing questions. You can reach Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top